Borders Miles of Lewis & Clark National Forest and Wildlife Management Area
11,044 Deeded Acres
Abundant Water Rights
Diverse Habitat for Wildlife including Two Resident Elk Herds
Mule Deer, White-tailed Deer, Mountain Lion and Black Bear
William I. Hughes established a tradition of land stewardship in 1890’s. The Hughes Mountain Ranch is saddled against the north and east slopes of the Little Belt Mountains overlooking the famed Judith Basin. The Ranch is 75 miles southeast of Great Falls which has an international airport and is 12 miles away from the community of Stanford which has a 4200’ paved runway. The ranch includes 11,044 deeded acres plus 163 acres State lands and 120 acres of BLM lands. The property has an exceptional habitat for trophy quality elk, deer, and other wildlife plus brook trout fishing. The ranch is a year round cattle operation that supports 420 cow/calf pairs with live creeks and developed water plus an abundance of natural protections. There are three separate sets of improvements highlighted by a western flavor hunting lodge.
- Borders 4 miles of Lewis and Clark National Forest
- Borders 3 miles of Judith River Wildlife Management Area
- 11,044 deeded acres plus 120 BLM and 163 State
- Located 12 miles Southwest of Stanford and 75 miles Southeast of Great Falls
- Water Sources Include 33 Developed Springs, 3 Creeks, and Ponds Supported by 101 Active Water Right Claims
- Within the 448 and 420 Hunting Districts
- Two Resident Elk Herds
- Abundant Wildlife: Elk, Mule Deer, White-tailed Deer, Black Bear, Mountain Lion, Brook Trout, and Cutthroat Trout.
- Family Owned and Operated Since the late 1800’s
- Three sets of Improvements
The Hughes Mountain Ranch consists of 11,044 deeded acres against the Little Belt Mountains. The ranch is 97% deeded, beautiful and private yet accessible. The ranch is a functional cattle operation with 400 +/- acres of hay, well maintained pastures, and four sets of working corrals. A great variety of recreational opportunities parallel agriculture on the ranch neighboring the Lewis and Clark National Forest and Judith River Wildlife Management Area. Landmarks located on or adjacent such as Carr Coulee, Reed Hill, Woodhurst Mountain, and Mary’s Knoll reminds one of the rich history imprinted for generations. The all-encompassing views can be had while biking, trail running, hiking, hunting, and ranching, what a great way to work, live, and play. The Ranch is bountiful with premier habitat for big game with a strong elk presence the ranch harbors two residence elk herds growing through the winter. The combination of Hunting District’s, quality and quantity insures a successful Bull Hunt. Hunting elk in Montana has never been so accessible.
Here is a link to the Hughes Mountain Ranch Website.